Why a blog?

Somewhere to jot down all things I am passionate about.
My little space to rant, rave and ramble on about this and that.
Most of all, just to share my thoughts with the world!

Monday, November 14, 2011

Treatment Skin Care Masks


Hi there beauty lovers,  :-h  this post is one of the last, concluding a series of manifestos, divulging my entire beauty prescription, including the specific products currently featured in my exclusive, personalised Serious Skin Care routine.  Thence, as to not confuse anyone,  :-/  the existing posts in this sequence, focusing on my daily beauty ritual, are showcased in a progression of blog posts, designated as Cleansing, Toning, Moisturising, Vitamin Therapy - Topical Vitamin A and C, Sun Protection, Treatment Products - Uneven Skin Tone and Pimples.  Finally, this post proffers a fundamental element of my weekly skin care program, implemented to compliment my daily regime whilst accenting the ongoing correction of my individual skin concerns; this topic has secured the title of Treatment Skin Care Masks. 
The Skinceuticals Mask in action.

I have a number of different Masks that I suitably employ to treat those distinctive skin care demands, but it all depends on how my skin is behaving,  [-X  as to which one I need or want to use.  ;)  If you are not already aware, my skin is typically oily and sometimes sensitive, however, even though it’s oily, it doesn’t mean that it can’t get dehydrated too  :-?  (This, evidently, is NOT the same as having dry skin).  Therefore, as well as trying to keep excess oil production at bay and eradicating hormonal spots, I intermittently need to deal with, my normally oily skin, brandishing the irregular, crippling affects related to surface dehydration.  The dehydration is partially caused by obvious neglect, (yep,yep, I’m afraid I AM guilty  L-)  note to one self -  remember to consume more fluids, especially during summer, d'oh!  #-o ) which can implicate the misuse of harsh, incompatible/conflicting skin care products (A reason why I always pronounce, NEVER to self-diagnose and determine your own ‘professional’ skin care products, without being appropriately informed, it’s so easy to get it wrong and whiles symptoms might not surface for some time, the damage can already be developing deep down!! EEK!   :-O  ) or, even over-exfoliating.  Nevertheless, dehydration can also be provoked by numerous other triggers, such as certain medications, illness, prolonged periods in air-conditioning, (Which is virtually unavoidable here at this time of the year), vulnerability to extreme elements and constant sun exposure (tsk tsk  [-X  ) as well as lifestyle factors and an inadequate diet. 

I utilise the benefits of these Masks, primarily to keep my skin balanced and to target congestion and unwanted zits, whilst ideally, I ultimately need a good ‘SOS’ Mask to combat the telltale signs of dehydration.  o-+  I also fancy using a Mask, mostly for cosmetic purposes,  ;;)  to boost my complexion and to encourage radiance for a healthy natural glow, which comes in handy before a special occasion or big event.  *-:)  It’s not unusual for me to occupy about four ‘go-to’ Masks, at any one time, that I alternate weekly to completely satisfy ALL of my skin care needs.  \:D/  Masks perform varied functions, from providing a deep pore cleanse, sloughing away dead skin cells, drawing out impurities, reducing the appearance of enlarged pores, absorbing and balancing excess oil, nourishing and rejuvenating the skin, although simultaneously Masks are renown for rapidly evoking the effects of a brighter, clearer, more energised-looking complexion.  >-)  

Here’s which Masks I am using ATM:


I have been capitalising on the remarkable benefits of this Mask for the past few years now and it has earned its place as a staple in my beauty kit.  It’s a Mask that I like to have on hand and can always rely on to prompt a fast, efficient outcome, in case of emergency.  I was sceptical when I first tried this Mask, because I don't suffer from acne, just hormonal spots and some reviews that I had been researching, claimed that it could be really drying to the skin.  Thankfully, I needn’t have been concerned, because in true Dermalogica style, this Mask actively provides simply amazing results.  It is a highly concentrated treatment Mask with deep-cleansing clays, natural plant extracts, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and powerful Salicylic Acid, which team together to pack an almighty punch.  b-(  Due to it’s potency, it’s not a Mask that I use often, however, when my skin goes crazy and freaks out,  :-&  from time to time, the anti-irritant, anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties are very therapeutic to nurture and relax my stressed out complexion.  [-O<  The cooling sensation helps to soothe irritation, while the calming botanicals significantly alleviate facial redness.  I had to put this Mask to the ultimate test earlier this year, when my skin temporarily was out of control,  X(  impacted by stress, causing my skin to break out in random cystic-like pimples that wouldn’t budge with my normal skin care products or spot treatments.  ~X(  This Mask finally remedied the problem, when all else failed, thoroughly drawing out the undesirable impurities from deep in the skin.  The Dermalogica mediBac Sebum Clearing Masque always leaves my skin feeling refreshed and polished, whilst surprisingly it remains adequately hydrated.  I guess I am blessed with having oily skin in some cases, as I am glad I don’t experience any dryness when using this Mask, although I always use it in moderation.  This healing, comfort Mask works first time, every time and I am confident it won’t let me down, when it comes to a bad skin day!  :)>-



This is my weapon of choice to eliminate pesky blackheads once and for all!  B-)  It is also my fist line of defence when my skin starts to become congested or excessively oily.  It’s basically a ‘DIY facial in a tub.’  (*) This deep pore cleansing, clay-based Mask features a combination of oil-absorbing clays, powerful AHA’s and a blend of botanicals that promotes instantaneous results.  I tend to use this Mask the most, as it addresses my regular skin concerns to perfection.  In fact, if I were none the wiser, I would believe somebody fabricated it using my personal stencil,  :-"  he,he!  ;))  Impurities be gone!  Right before my very eyes, I watch the effects of the dynamic AHA’s in action, opening pores and drawing out the gunk, which is so firmly lodged it’s hard to extract normally.  This process is a real eye-opener,  /:)  as the Mask begins to set, I can distinctly see all the crap lifting out from my pores.  In my opinion, this Mask is a true soldier when it comes to infiltrating blackheads and preventing their reformation.  o->  It’s also worth noting, that unlike many other clay Masks, the nourishing formulation doesn’t leave my skin dry or feeling taut, instead it delivers hydration, which prompts my complexion to look clear and naturally refined, whilst it feels replenished and ultra soft to touch.  My sensitive skin is never an issue when using this Mask, despite the mix of several highly potent skin care ingredients, it truly has a calming nature, which decreases facial redness and soothes angry, inflamed skin.  >:D<   The Skinceuticals Clarifying Clay Masque  is seriously the bomb!  While it may seem a bit pricey upfront, the evident, irrefutable outcome will absolutely conclude that this Mask is, in fact, merely an investment for more beautiful skin.  It’s definitely a keeper, that is worth every cent!  =D>



A soothing, revitalizing, anti-ageing Mask that is not only great for mature skin, it also works a charm to remedy my skin when it is displaying the affects of dehydration.  It ensures rapid relief and an efficacious departure of the vexatious symptoms.  #:-S  This professional skin care Mask is ideal for anyone who is serious about tackling prematurely aged skin.  It boasts an extremely nourishing, replenishing formula, enriched with an assembly of scientifically proven skin recovery vitamins, including A, C, E, F and B5, in a blend of antioxidants and plant extracts, instigating a positive effect in helping the skin’s ability to heal and repair, whist protecting against future free radical damage.  When my skin is dull, tired or just incredibly worn out, I use this Mask because it encourages an eminent improvement to the appearance of my complexion and assists in the correction of any ailments.  :)  The thick, rich, creamy potion expels a delicate, citrus aroma that’s heavenly to apply, reposing into a thick layer of butter-like emollient that snugly envelopes my face.  The finish stays moist rather than drying out, making it easy to remove with warm water, without emitting any greasy residue on the skin’s surface.  The Mask doesn’t aggravate my sensitive skin, or leave it taut and parched, instead it’s completely reinvigorated, intensely hydrated and feeling soft, supple and comfortably subdued.  Whenever my skin screams that it’s thirsty and starts adopting signs of dehydration, I unleash this gentle, nurturing Mask to instantly quench its thirst.  >:/   It calms my impaired skin and reduces any redness; moreover, it boosts moisture levels and maintains sufficient hydration.  :D  The Dermalogica AGE Smart MultiVitamin Power Recovery Masque efficaciously breathes new life back into my skin.  :O)  As well as promoting an immediate response, modestly plumping my skin, smoothing the texture, restoring radiance and elevating optimal skin health, over time, this Mask is a competent armament to reverse the visible appearance of ageing skin.  In addition, long-term use of this Mask, on a regular basis, noticeably softens fine lines and wrinkles, diminishes age spots and pigmentation and reinstates elasticity, flourishing a more youthful-looking image.  I absolutely dote on the regenerating capabilities of this Mask and can always be sure it will produce swift, effective results.  I wouldn’t hesitate to constantly recommend it to anyone suffering from dull, tired, or ageing skin.  <:-P



I keep this Mask as my ‘occasional’ care Mask, to use prior to special outings or momentous affairs.  This is evidently because it’s extremely expensive and needless to say, you might call me stingy, but during these tough economical times, I need to stretch out my beauty products for as long possible,  :">  especially the costly ones conjectured as a rare delicacy, as I just can’t afford or even justify purchasing replacements on a regular basis.  I am currently on my second 75ml tube (see, it’s even very diminutive in size, considering the outrageously OTT price tag it bears  :-O  ) of this Mask, however, regardless of the cost factor, when I put it to use, I am indubitably positive that it will procure impressive results that are noticeable immediately.  :)  The superior, delightfully exhilarating Mask, developed with three of the most preeminent active ingredients available in anti-ageing skin care prevails to achieve optimum skin health and a well-rested appearance.  I-)  AHA’s, along with vitamin’s A and C amalgamate with botanical extracts in a indulgent formula, which, despite the potency, is still complimentary and bolsters to sustain my fragile skin.  The MD Formulations Vit-A-Plus Illuminating Masque effortlessly clears and brightens my complexion, evens the skin tone, reduces pigmentation and remarkably boasts skin soothing properties that promise a gentle, non-irritating experience.  :x  It thereon rejuvenates my skin, producing a softer, smoother surface texture and a purely uniform complexion that instantly stimulates an all over, naturally luminous glow.  It’s my perfect pre-event Mask that quickly revs my appearance, revealing lustrous, radiant skin that is definitely the cause for a celebration.  <:-P  A+++ I guaranteed it never disappoints!


As any respective beauty enthusiast, incessantly probing through the broad array of skin care collections currently saturating the market, will evidently perceive, there’s a myriad of options readily available when it comes to choosing your ideal Mask.  These specialty Masks, manufactured to cater for a variety of different and irregularly unusual skin concerns, adorn a mélange of formulations, suitably proposed to gratify the unique diversity of each primary skin type.  So, basically, it’s just a matter of recognising your own individual skin type and establishing your target preferences, then selecting a Mask accordingly.  ;)  

A weekly treatment Mask is an integral component of any Serious Skin Care routine, designed to reinforce a better-looking complexion and improve the overall health of the skin.  \:D/  Personally, I also enjoy the reposing qualities of a tranquilising facial Mask that incites me to relax and unwind.  I-)  I love applying a skin care Mask, then kicking back and 'zoning out' to relieve some of the built-up pressure and stresses associated with daily living, ahh, bliss!  =P~   

Have you found a treatment Mask, which meets all of your own skin care demands?  Does your favourite perform above and beyond the capabilities of any other Mask you have tried to date?  If so, please tell us all about it!  How did this particular Mask come to gain your respect and earn a coveted appraisal to secure supremacy, as your Number 1 preferred facial Mask?  :-?  If not, would you care to share the journey, while you continue searching for a skin care Mask you can accolade with a ‘Holy Grail’ status?  :-*


All product images in this post are generic, however the photograph featured at the top is my own. 

6 comments:

  1. Your so right melmeko - finding a treatment product, namely masks (I have a similar issue with serums) to cover all the bases of our complexion requirements is a tough job! I've only just found a mask that compliments my sensitive skin at all, let alone something that meets all my needs. The hunt continues...

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Pie squared I hear ya babe, having sensitive skin can definitely pose a huge obstacle in the quest of establishing a skin care routine that effectively targets your concerns, without exasperating the symptoms of your delicate, fragile skin.
    Over the past few years, my skin has built-up a resilience to more potent, active skin care ingredients, however it took a lot of patience and perseverance on my part, to eventually overcome those barriers. At times I thought I was fighting a loosing battle, but thankfully persistence finally prevailed :)
    I think some people are just too quick to abandon new products, deterred by the initial backlash and without sufficient ingredient knowledge and awareness, they end up panicking and resigning them all together.
    I prefer to endure the primal resistance that often accompanies the introduction of active skin care ingredients. I believe that as a general rule of thumb, my skin always gets worse before it gets better, therefore I just plug along and endure any hiccups, for at least a month, to allow the skin's natural turnover process to complete a full cycle, before I scrutinize the short-term visible effects to determine if it meets my expectations and proves a long-term possibility.
    Unless circumstantially, a product, which has already passed my patch test, still causes irregular discomfort or extreme irritation, I would ditch it immediately for obvious reasons, lol.
    I have learned, though, that many highly potent skin care products adapt better if they are gradually acquainted into your normal regime, over a period of days/weeks to hamper a sudden onslaught of side-effects.
    OMG my passion gets the better of me again :-O Sorry for such a copious reply, do keep me posted of your journey into discovery and I wish you all the best in securing your perfect mask match before too long.
    Thanks once again for your constant support <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Fabrizia Thank you very much for stopping by and commenting on my blog. Definitely going to check out yours. I have followed via GFC :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ADORE the dermalogica power recovery masque!!! Fab blog Mel! Love Yvette xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Dimitra Thanks heaps Yvette, yep the Derm AGE Smart masque is a ripper isn't it :)

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear your two cents worth, both good and bad, but anything out of sorts, offensive or unappropriated will have to be scrapped, sorry, just want to keep things clean ;)