Why a blog?

Somewhere to jot down all things I am passionate about.
My little space to rant, rave and ramble on about this and that.
Most of all, just to share my thoughts with the world!

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Toning



Howdy all, well this is the second installment of many, into the insight of my Serious Skin Care program, where I unleash every product I have included in my own personal skin care routine.  This blog is focusing the Toners that I use, including when I use them, as well as the usual natter based on my experience with each one. :)

AM




 This is, at this stage, my ‘holy grail’ toner and one that I would absolutely recommend to any oily skinned beauties.  It is a super unique dual-faceted, liquid and powder formulation, which combines the features of an astringent toner, for more refined pores, with the benefits of silica extract, infused in a powder that absorbs excess oils and mattifies the complexion.  This toner can be used morning and night, but I personally like to use it in the morning, because it’s during the day that my skin always becomes its oiliest, therefore using this toner prior to my makeup application, helps control oil production and prevent that pesky midday shine.  I just apply with a cotton pad after straight cleansing and love how it’s ultra gentle and feels calming on my sensitive skin, but most of all, it leaves my complexion completely shine-free, minus causing dryness or stripping any natural oils.  Esthederm Osmoclean Pore Refiner Matifying Lotion has been my AM toner of choice for over 18 months and over this time I have noticed a significant difference in the behaviour of my skin along with the appearance in general.  My complexion is now becoming nicely balanced, rather than producing too much oil, whilst my previously enlarged pores don’t look nearly as obvious any more, on the contrary, my skin is looking clear and healthy.  It’s an absolute ‘must have’ and oily skin 'BFF', I can’t imagine my life without this toner in it.  It's a saving grace, which has contributed to a remarkable change in my oily skin, for the better. Two big thumbs up! ;)

PM




This is another toner, which has progressed to become a permanent resident in my beauty regime, quickly evolving to a staple, after my first spritz, nearly two and a half years ago.  While I mostly use this toner at night, as an essential step in my PM skin care regime, I have also adopted it as a facial mist, to use as needed, throughout the day, because it provides a nourishing burst of cooling relief from the vast humidity, especially during a typical Tropical North Queensland summer.  The botanical cocktail of anti-ageing ingredients boasts ingredients such as antioxidants, vitamins, peptides and deeply hydrating hyaluronic acid, to target the premature signs of ageing, while leaving my skin feeling refreshed and completely revived.  Sometimes I spritz some of the Dermalogica AGE Smart Antioxidant Hydramist onto a cotton pad and wiping on my skin as per a normal toner; otherwise, I spray it directly onto my face and gently press it into my skin.  When in need of an instant ‘pick-me-up’ I just apply a fine mist to my skin and allow it to dry naturally.


Well at least that that was simple and straightforward, I hear you say, LOL. :D  In comparison to some of the other, more varied skin care steps in my routine, there is not an abundance to say when it comes to toning.  However, I must stress that these toners are of equal importance and are deemed worthy of their place in my regime; just as much as some of their more complex counterparts.  A number of years ago, I decided that I would forgo the toning step altogether, mostly lead by the debate over toners NOT being essential, as their only purpose is to remove any impurities that your cleanser might have missed.  I plugged along without a toner for a year or so but it wasn’t until reintroducing it back into my skin care regime, that I came to the personal conclusion that the toning step actually DOES indeed perform to my advantage.

Depending on the type toner and the extent of its capabilities, most decent toners will dissolve any greasy film coated on the skin (a pesky aftermath often associated with creamy or oily cleansers, which can also lead to clogged pores) and ensure that no cleansing residue is rendered.  They can also help neutralise the skin’s natural pH levels and create a better balance, by reducing the over production of oils without drying the skin, rather, providing an additional boost of nourishing moisture to the skin cells, which combats dehydration. Also, tap water can contain various chemicals for filtering, which could then be imparted to the skin during cleansing, which in turn can be drying, whereas using a toner will guarantee that anything that is not meant to be there will be safely removed.  Finally, a good toner not only feels indulging and provides soothing relief to angry, red skin, it also prepares it to better receive and absorb any following skin care treatments and moisturisers, whilst enhancing their effectiveness.   

In my opinion, I find applying a toner to actually be a very pleasurable experience that always leaves my skin feeling clean, refreshed and comfortable. As a general rule of the thumb, if your toner doesn’t provide you with all three of those outcomes, then you are probably using the wrong toner.  Remember, your toner should never sting, burn or cause redness and irritation, nor should it make your skin feel tight and excessively dry or oily for that matter, therefore if you experience any of these concerns, discontinue immediately, as that toner is not for you.  The best bet would be to experiment with different types of toners until you meet your perfect match.  Once you find the right toner, it will help you too; so you can be sure your getting the most out of your skin care routine.


Please tell, which side of the fence are you sitting on, when it comes to toning?  Is it of importance or is it a step you’d rather forget?  If you use a toner, please fill us in on your favourite and share how it benefits your skin.

All images in this blog are generic.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear your two cents worth, both good and bad, but anything out of sorts, offensive or unappropriated will have to be scrapped, sorry, just want to keep things clean ;)